Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thing 16: The Library Thing is on the Loose

Sorry for once again posting out of order; is it as annoying to my readers as it is to me? I enjoyed the librarything thing. It has multiple possible uses, from creating a personal library list to enhancing and tracking a book club to preparing for classroom lit circles. Searching by tags would bring up common themes that students could explore, and would allow a larger number of titles from which they could self-select a text. I went ahead and made an account, and I even started to catalog my own personal library; I have a long way to go, but it was nice to get started. I will hopefully be able to have the time that is not available during the school year to complete this worthy task. I noticed the same thing that Salinger did, it is easier to find potboilers than the long simmering classics that stick to the ribs. As an uber-nerd, I am disappointed in this lack of depth, but I am hopeful that the more users and visitors the site gets, the more varied the selections will be. Am I naive?

1 comment:

  1. You are so much smarter than I am . . . that's why you're half-n-half and I'm not. The selection will only become more varied if the visitors using the site become more varied; a person who reads dime store romances probably won't pick up War and Peace. I like the idea of using Librarything to tracg book clubs/lit. circles.

    ReplyDelete