Friday, November 13, 2009

Thing # 7A: Awww, My Old Friend The Reader

I found a really cool story on my reader post for NPR, and it made me think of something hopeful in education. The story is "Two Graphic Novels Explain Science, Colorfully", and it sparked a wonderful daydream for me in which students can't wait to do their science homework because it is in a form they love, a graphic novel. Graphic novels are now the most common fodder for movie ideas in Hollywood: Ghost Rider and Watchmen are just two recent pieces turned into blockbuster films. I think students would love for at least some of the curriculum to be in a mode they like and are rather expert in. It makes us look "cool" and it makes science a little more entertaining, which hopefully means more teachable.

No comments:

Post a Comment