Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thing 20 - What's up Doc

Lately, I have heard many of my friends/colleagues talk about using Google Docs in their classrooms for a plethora of exercises, but, while a great tool, I just don't see myself ever actually using it. I am just much more comfortable with pen, paper, and a dusty old text.

However, that doesn't mean I can't think like I would use Google Docs (even if I don't remember tomorrow morning how to actually use it). This six-weeks, my Seniors have been working on their research papers. There have been several documents (dialectical journals/T charts, outlines, documentation formatting) that I've wanted my kids to have access to no matter where they are. Thanks to very friendly librarians, I now have these posted for my kids to download at their leisure. I would assume (although I didn't actually do it myself) these documents were posted using Google Docs. And, if it will work for this assignment, I would use it for all my writing assignments, including class lectures, make-up work, and test reviews. It would also work well within the department as we align curriculum and create common assessment or instead of a staff notebook (all the forms we would normally waste paper on would be accessible through Google Docs). Really, for someone with the skills who is organized, this would be rather handy, but, for me, I still prefer the old fashioned method: memo graph!

1 comment:

  1. And this is exactly what the Moodle site is for--you can have your whole curriculum up and waiting to be found when students lose handouts, etc. Takes must of the responsibility off of you--"you never gave me that; I was sick"--and puts it on the kid--"Remember the first day I told you that if you lost something or missed a day, check the Moodle for what you missed."

    ReplyDelete