Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thing 18

Like most American kids of the 70's and 80's, I was a devoted watcher of the Saturday morning cartoon (SMC) line up. Granted, tv then wasn't what it is today. We didn't have three different cartoon channels dedicated to showing 24 hours of jolly goodness. Nope! We got our fix once a week.

One of my favorite parts of SMC, was the public service announcements starring that little yellow dude. What was he supposed to be? No clue, but I learned not to drown my food in goo, how to make ice cube popcicles, and even how to make cheese wagon wheels (a healthier snack alternative. Needless to say, I was thrilled to find I could jump back to the days of no stress and footy pajamas just by going to YouTube. My little yellow friend was easy to find - I just searched for the words "sunshine on a stick" (part of a verse from one of those PSAs). I also found an old commercial for one of my favorite childhood treats: Hostess Twinkies and Fruit Pies. I swear, I was eight years old again, sitting in front of tiny black and white wearing nothing but my underoos! It was Fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment